Sunday, January 31, 2010

College, dead people, and a wild animal...

So yesterday was freezing but we did a walk kind of as a group. At least 9 people were together, and 4 more were behind (we bumped into them as we finished each museum). Anyways it was the Lutetia Pulchra Est walk, whatever that means. It was really cool, except for the fact that it was freezing. We started out at the Musée de Cluny, which is a Medieval museum. Right next to it were Roman baths but I couldn't get a good picture because it was surrounded by tall fences. This museum used to be a hotel from the 15th century so just walking around and looking at the walls and ceilings was cool enough. My favorite room was the ones with the stained glass. They had artificial light from each side of the wall! I keep marveling at how they made it. See!

We spent about 45 minutes in there and then continued to see the Sorbonne. I guess we aren't allowed inside because back in the 60's people protested there and they don't want rowdy crowds there to protest. Not that anybody would protest when it's FREEZING! It was cool though, it put most of BYU's buildings to shame.

After that, we went to see the dead people in the Pantheon. Here's me looking sick in all black:

A pic from the outside:

There were quite a few famous peole therethere, and still a lot of empty spots for future famous French people. The ones I knew of were Alexander Dumas, Victor Hugo, Voltaire, Rousseau, etc... I think this one was Rousseau's:

There was also some murals about St. Genevive. I guess it was originally a Church built in her honor, but before it was finished the French Revolution happened and they seized control of it and started putting famous French people there. Here's one mural:
So it wasn't heated very well, at all....and thus I couldn't wait to leave. We then went to St-Etienne-Du-Mont Church and it was cool but they all kind of looked the same to me by now. We then walked by Pascal's house (math whiz, I heard about him before), and then there was this old wall that Rebecca was saying about how important it was. It used to surround Paris. It was alright, just an old wall, so I'm not gonna post a pic up here. The coolest thing I thought was this old Roman Gladiator arena. I guess it could seat 15,000 and they found it about a hundred years ago when they were digging here. There were even cages for the animals to come out and fight the gladiators! Just like in the movie! Take a look below to see people playing soccer there. It's crazy to think that here in France, an old Roman ruin has become a park. SOO much history.

Finally, the wild animal:

1 comment:

  1. i like that jacket you're wearing. is that the mexx one? or it's another one you bought there?

    ReplyDelete